Pages

Friday, 12 September 2014

Tim Holtz: 12 Tags of 2014 - September

DSC00674

Wow, where did the last month go -
 I must have blinked and missed it!

Needless to say, I haven't been doing much crafting,
but am now back at my craft desk only to find, yet again
I don't have the main ingredients for Tim's tag - doh!
Still that hasn't stopped me, even though my take on
this month's tag is somewhat abbreviated.

Tim's tag for September is above - 
if you want to see how he made it,
click on the picture to go to his blog.

.... and here's my version

If you've read Tim's post, you may be wondering
where my 'faded layers' in the background are.
Well, if I'd used the proper alcohol ink cardstock 
they would probably have shown up,
but as I used ordinary photo gloss paper they didn't.
(let that be a lesson to me!)
I still like the background anyway - it's always
interesting using alcohol inks, such lovely effects.

Something else I didn't have was the Sizzix
Butterfly Frenzy die - so instead I used
a butterfly punch and as the butterfly was quite large, 
I only used a single one instead of a whole bunch of them.


I made two of the tags with different rub on
words.  The beautiful stamp is called
Art Nouveau Profile (In8119-k) by Inca Stamp.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll have everything needed
for next month's tag (although I doubt it!).

Thanks for looking :)

Thursday, 7 August 2014

Tim Holtz: 12 Tags of 2014 - August

DSC00622 
 Tim's tag for August is above - 
if you want to see how he made it,
click on the picture to go to his blog.

..... and here's my version

Even though I didn't have all the items Tim used
(as usual), I still closely followed the design of his tag.

Here's some brief step by step pictures of mine.

Tissue tape placed roughly where
the rubber stamps will go.


 I didn't have the Ranger Texture Paste,
 so used what I did have from Golden.
The textured stencils letters I put onto the tag
don't show up too much on the finished tag but it
does give the tag more interest.


Once the images were stamped over the tissue tape,
the whole thing was coloured with various colours
of Distress Stain.


The metal embellishments I chose were coloured
with the only colours of Distress Paint I have.


They looked fine once the paint had dried and
they were further 'rusted' with some Distress Embossing Powder.




  
I like the old rusty look of the tag -
even if I was a bit heavy handed with it!

That's it for this month - I'm really enjoying
making these tags but the year seems to be
passing so quickly!

Thanks for looking :)

 

More School Holidays Fun


This time we made some friendship bracelets.
The one above is Chloe's creation.
It's made from Liberty print ribbon using
a square knot (the type used in the
Shambala/macrame bracelets).
She picked the technique up very quickly
and unlike me didn't have to keep referring
to the instructions - lol.


 We also made these two above which used
embroidery thread and small silver beads.
Chloe's gemstone choice was Rose Quartz
and mine was the black Obsidian - a gemstone
I'd never heard of before, but both Chloe and Aaron
knew all about it as it features in the computer
game of Minecraft - I thought I was supposed to
be doing the teaching  - how funny!

Thanks for looking :)

Friday, 25 July 2014

School Holiday Fun - More Post-It-Note Books


Earlier this week my niece and nephew came
to play in my craft room - yay!!!

Whenever I can't think of what craft to actually do,
the Big Shot embossing machine usually comes
to the rescue.

So we made Post-It-Note covers - based on 
Tim Holtz 'painted industrial' technique as
described in the post below.

Chloe's book is on the left - and instead of using
paint to colour her cover, she used alcohol inks.
She decided to tie some gold coloured fibres around it too.

Aaron used black paint on his and added a couple of
little bulldog clips.

Didn't they do well!
Here they are with their finished items.


I only finished my one today, and I used 
alcohol inks too


It was looking quite opulent and exotic so I
added some self adhesive rhinestones and a tassle.


Now I had better get my thinking cap on
for when they next visit .....
watch this space!

Thanks for looking :)

Sunday, 20 July 2014

Compendium of Curiosities III - Challenge 7


The current challenge on Linda Ledbetter's blog,
is to make something using the technique called
"Painted Industrial"
as described in Tim Holtz' book -
A Compendium of Curiosities Volume III.
(page 46).

I like this technique as it's quick and easy with
good results.

I decided to make a post it note holder and
decorate the covers using this technique.


The covers were cut from mountboard.


 I didn't have any black Distress Paint but
Claudine Hellmuth's Studio paint seemed to work just as well.


I decorated the inside covers too.


 ..... and the back.


I added a few embellishments too.
I love the deep embossing and think it really does
have the look of 'painted industrial'.

There are some prizes on offer if you enter
this challenge and are a lucky winner -

are offering a $50 Gift Certificate (wow!)

and one lucky winner will receive a spectacular assortment
 of Tim Holtz products, courtesy of Tim himself 
and Mario Rossi, his business manager.  (double wow!!)

What you waiting for!!!

Thanks for looking at my entry:)