Pages

Thursday 27 January 2011

Mini Fabric Collage Swap

Mini Fabric Collage Swap


The Winter Swap on Linda’s 'A Swap For All Seasons' blog was to make one mini fabric collage measuring 5” x 7”Linda paired up all the participants and advised us that as long as the base was fabric, we could build from there use any medium as long as it was whatever we thought our partner would like.
My partner for this swap was Hope of Pixie’s Ponderings who now lives here in the UK in Lincolnshire but is originally from (as she puts it) ‘the wilds of Northwest Arkansas’ in the USA. Hope described her style as eclectic and gave me quite a lot of information as to what she liked. I narrowed it down for the collage to ‘toadstools, owls and natured-inspired stuff’ She told me there were no colours she disliked and that she leaned towards whimsical in style.

Armed with this information this is what I made


I started off with a cotton then sturdy webbing base (as described in a previous post). I built up a landscape with various colours of organza fabric which were held into place with the tree which I machine stitched on.

The tree is brown felt cut from Tim Holtz’ Alterations Sizzix ‘Branch Tree’ die. I hand stitched the flowers with beaded centres on and the cute little wooden owl buttons (I painted in their eyelids as they looked a bit scary otherwise). I added Glossy Accents to their eyes too so they look all twinkling in the moonlight! The moon is a piece of silver ribbon highlighted with some Ranger’s Stickles (Crystal colour) and I also highlighted some of the branches of the tree with it to look light moonlight. I suppose the background should have been darker if it’s night time, but this is a whimsical piece so I think I can get away with it!


The (intentionally) wonky picket fence around the tree is a piece of lace cut from Tim Holtz’ Alterations Sizzix ’On The Edge’ die called ’On The Fence’. I wasn’t sure if lace was going to work but I was pleased with the result. The toadstool is another wooden button which I coloured with paint and more Stickles and added Glossy Accents to the top.



I finished it off with some assorted fibres and lace.


Here’s what the back looks like. I made an image transfer onto fabric using Golden’s Regular Gel (matte) medium and a print onto copier paper with my inkjet printer.
 
I did intend to use the image transfer somewhere on the front of the collage, but as it evolved there was no place for it, so on the back it went - and it became a useful place for my details!
   

We were to leave our pieces unfinished so our partner could decide how they wanted to use them.


I made a card to go with the collage with an appropriate verse (photocopied from a book of music and suitably aged with some Distress Inks).
You may be able to see another wooden owl button in it's un-painted state - with the scary eyes!


I’m pleased with how the collage turned out and am so glad that Hope likes it too (phew, that's a relief!) I’m looking forward to receiving mine in return.

Thanks Linda for organising another great swap, I really enjoyed this one!


32 comments:

Cindy Is Crafty said...

Sherry, your collage is awesome! I love it!

mary pernula said...

Sherry you did a wonderful job, I just got mine done and going to get it posted and mailed next week. Thanks for sharing. Hugs Mary

Sunset97 said...

sherry,

you never cease(sp?) to amaze me... this time you have me in total awe....!!! this is totally awesome...!! :) you are so gifted and talented....!!

thanks so much for sharing...!! :)

tracy

Jan Hennings said...

A beautiful collage piece :)

Mrs A. said...

Sherry,
Don't do this to me. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw this post as I thought I'd somehow managed to miss the deadline!! Had to go check the details but phew I'm safe for a bit. Good job as all the bits and bobs for mine are in a plastic box somewhere and the ribbon is coming in the post sometime! Just as well my partners in England too.
Your fabric collage is just superb.I love it.(Erm did you make one for me too?)
You have created a masterpiece that Hope is surely going to adore. I keep having to go back and look at it as you have done such a fantastic job.
Hugs Mrs A.

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous collage this is, with all of these lovely details, there's so much to look at! TFS, have a great weekend, Ira

Deborah said...

Utterly charming. That toadstool button is just too cute - and I love all the texture and layering.

Meggymay said...

Wow, Sherry, its awesome, so many details to look at, she will love it. xx

Pattie said...

I have left you an Award on my blog Sherry ! please go and pick it up thankyou :) x

Gini said...

Oh Sherry you've wowed us all again with your beautiful, imaginative whimsical piece, all those wonderful layers of organza and the details, oh the details!
Clever you :-)
Gini
xx
P.S. Those Holtz die cutters are amazing to cut lace like that.

Terry said...

Oh so loving your collage! It is like visiting Disneyland! Love it to pieces! Have a truly wonderful weekend!

Linda said...

Sherry,
I love love love this! Whimsical and wonderful! And I DO so love the word "wonky"! My new favorite "British" word! I keep repeating it in my miserable excuse for a English accent! Anyway, you did a fabulous job! I love every delightful detail! Linda

Luna Art said...

Sherry, this is so beautiful! So many tiny details to be amazed at and the toadstool button is so cute! You blow me away with your creations! x

JoAnne said...

Lucky, lucky Hope! What a beautiful piece you created Sherry. It's magical!

oneoff said...

Sherry - that's gorgeous, and your swap partner is really lucky. The fence is so clever, and I love the owls and toadstool. Great choice of verse to add to the card too.

Bx

Ali said...

Truly magical, love all of this I really do.

Ali x

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

OMG How did I miss this Sherry!!
Your collage is beautiful and so unique!! Loving all the little details!
Jan x

Thespa McLaughlin said...

It's so cute! Love all the little elements you put into it. Thanks for sharing!

mary k said...

Awesome! Love all the special touches you added.

genie said...

Your little collage is precious. No wonder the two of you are so happy with it. The whimsical quality adds so much to its attractiveness. You really did a wonderful job. The way you did the back looks like the way I sign my quilts, and the card fit together with the theme perfectly. Wonderful collage.

Jan said...

Just surfing Mr Linky (lol) and dont know how I missed your quilt posting originally. This is SO cute. I love the owls and the effect of the fence (very clever!)It really is magical.

Unknown said...

Great fabric collage. Your partner will just love it!
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

Nancy said...

Holy cow - it looks like a painting! Absolutely beautiful and I have major sampler envy!!! xoxo Nancy

Sherry said...

Very, very pretty! Everone's are so different and so wonderful!

Sherry

PeggyR said...

I love your collage, you did a great job!

Patty in Oz said...

Hi Sherry,

The collage you created is amazing. I didn't think about doing someone on the backside of the one I made.

The detail of yours is amazing. Great photos too.

Enjoy this day!

Miriam said...

Very lovely!

deb christensen said...

hi sherry - what a wonderful piece this is! gosh, all the details! i love the fence, i need to find out more about this sizzix thing!!

Lyneen said...

Absolutely love love love your collage... what an enchanting scene with so much detail!!!!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Amazing! What a work of art!

Betty said...

Oh my gosh! That is so cute! I love all of the detail!

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

Great job. I'm sure she loved it.