Pages

Wednesday 15 September 2010

Dress Up - September

Nine months into the year and I'm still playing along with the uber talented Margaret's Dress Up Challenge whereby all the participants make a dress for every month of the year.

I wanted to make this September 2010 dress special as this is a special month for me as I've just had my 50th birthday - there, I've said it (again)!!

So, this dress is all about me, me, me!!!  LOL.  After this posting, I promise there will be no more said about me reaching my half a century, getting old(er) or anything else relating to age - I'm sick of it, so expect you are too!

Back to the dress ...

The base is white cardstock which I coloured with Antique Linen Distress Ink, then rubber stamped a floral background onto (which is now completely hidden).  The shape is loosely based on my wedding dress - it had huge puffed sleeves and was very voluminous (just the way I wanted it).

I searched through the family photo albums and found the only half decent photographs of yours truly suitable.  The main image is of my wedding day (back in 1992).  In the middle is when I was a bridesmaid, probably about 5 years of age.  In the right hand corner is me as a baby.  The other corner is a school photo and the little snippet poking out from behind the bridesmaid is me at my shy-est, probably about 3 years old. (I still feel like that most of the time, even now!)

I photocopied the photographs on plain copier paper and stuck them onto the dress (using glue stick).  I inked around the edges with Antique Linen Distress Ink to make the whole thing a little more cohesive.

Now the fun part, out with the beeswax and the little quilters iron.  I melted the wax over the pictures and smoothed it out with the iron.  I had so many attempts at this I was worried the cardstock was going to disintegrate - but it didn't!

Once dry, I did a little random rubber stamping and highlighted some of the wax by brushing on a ittle Perfect Pearls (two colours, Perfect Gold and Heirloom Gold). 

This gave a lovely aged, but slightly sparkling effect (just like me, aged but slightly sparkling - LOL!)

I'm pleased with how this one has turned out - I think it is special, so it's hanging on the inside of the wardrobe door for now on display.  I actually managed to get all of the other dresses in the wardrobe together.



 Nine dresses down, three to go, I think there will just about be enough room in there for them!

I'm off now to go and look at all the other dresses for this month - Margaret has a Mister Linky widget on her blog.

Thanks for looking x

22 comments:

Terry said...

Well I came here to see your CCC14 and realized I already did! But what a treat to see this gorgeous dress! How beautiful!

Jan said...

This is so lovely Sherry and just perfect that you've made the September dress to celebrate your special year. Love the photos (you looked beautiful on your wedding day) and I just adore the little wardrobe.

Viv said...

Terrif wardrobe housing exquisite creations! Beautiful dress this month as always Sherry.

~*~Patty S said...

Your "YOU" dress is absolutely precious LOVE the beeswax finish, a very special addition to your already lovely wardrobe!

Happy Happy Birthday Month!
Enjoy * Enjoy!
oxo

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous dress with lots of special memories for you, looks just right hanging on the door. xx

Createology said...

How positively charming your little dresses are! I love love love them. And the adorable little closet you put them in is super fabulous. Happy creating...

Gayle Price said...

Hi Sherry, thanks so much for leaving a comment for me; really appreciate it. I am new to blogging so the fact that any one is actually looking amazes me. Love your Sept. dress !! and look at your little cupboard; its nearly full. I have so much to do to catch up, so better get to it. cheers.

Jeanie Callaghan said...

Oh, how perfectly beautiful! What a wonderful inspiration and so well executed.

AlwaysInspired said...

These little dresses are wonderful! That little wardrobe is so cute!

joanne wardle said...

aww that wardrobe full of dresses is so cute. what a lovely idea

Deborah said...

What a beautiful dress, Sherry! You're going to have a fantastic mini wardrobe by the end of the year.

Mrs A. said...

Another super one. Love the theme on this. My dress had puffy sleeves too.

Cindy Is Crafty said...

Sherry, I love it. What a great idea!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW, I've missed out on a LOT this month. I have had my head up my . . . blog posts, and have failed to come see what was going on in your world. I see I've missed out on some gorgeous grunge paper flowers that aren't roses (YEA), a blog giveaway, and other goodies, as well as your stunning September dress.

I'm really late to the party, but Happy Belated Birthday! I hope it was the best ever.

The detail on that dress is stunning. I was in awe of those sleeves and the effect you got with the beeswax. stamping, and Perfect Pearls. I am in awe of the detail and time you put into this. Those dresses look so lovely all hanging together, too.

margaret said...

Awesome Sherry!!!! how much do I love this dress??!! squeal!! A gal after my own heart with all that Beeswax, love the translucent effect and the wonderful depth it gives to the finished piece!! I also love the photos of you and it's given me an idea for a little Nov Dress Up challenge! we might just have time before the project ends!
Your dresses look fab together! was the door like that or did you stamp it??

Mx

Lynn Stevens said...

Gorgeous dress, who would have ever thought of a wedding dress , you thats who! very creative! Love your pictures!

Girlsinthecraft said...

Sherry,
I love, love, love this! I want makes some. So adorable and original!!

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

OMG, how did I miss your September dress!

Love the montage of 'you' pics and the beeswax is a beautiful touch!!

Your dress collection is looking fab!! :)

Jan x

Gini said...

Oh your dress is gorgeous and so lovely that it has you on it!
Loads of wonderful textures and shiny, yum!
Sing "Happy Birthday to me" from the rooftops, you made it to 50 and your still smiling!
Your dresses look fabulous all together in your wardrobe.
I'd better pull my finger out and get on and make mine for Sept.
Gini
xx

BadPenny said...

WOW ! What a fitting tribute for your birthday !

Jen xo said...

beautiful Sherry , it will be lovely to look back in a few years and have all those memories of this year.....

Electra said...

I think this is one of my favorite dresses from all year-the beeswax with the perfect pearls is wonderful! What a treasure you've made!