The lovely people at
recently launched a new and exclusive range of
and invited people to make two projects
using some of the ribbons.
I was lucky enough to take part in their challenge -
here are the ribbons they sent me
(I chose the pink option, but blue is also available naturally!)
As I always struggle to make any decent greetings card,
I decided to cover two notebooks with fabric instead.
I started off with the pink stripy one.
I made a card base for the cover just slighter larger
than the notepad (which is actually a 'Things To Do' Post-It note pad).
I didn't have any suitable pink fabric, so using a piece of white
cotton, coloured it with some Distress Stain - 'Spun Sugar'.
It dried up to a lovely pale pink colour which co-ordinated nicely
with the ribbons which I machine stitched on top.
I made a loop at the top so the book may be hung up if necessary.
I had a bit more fun with the second one as it involved a face!
I cut out a face and neck shape from white cotton,
stitched a few ribbons at the bottom to make some clothes
and hand embroidered the basic features on.
I used more black embroidery thread for the messy hair
and a little dab of pastel for the rosy cheeks and eye shadow.
Out came my old jeans again - I thought the pale denim
would contrast nicely with the pinks and greens -
and they became the cover.
The little girl was machine stitched on top of the cover
along with a few ribbons - the 'Cute As A Button' one
fitted well I think.
Between the card base and the top fabric is a layer
of thin wadding to give the books a slighty padded feel.
Here's what the inside looks like.
This was something a bit different, but I enjoyed the challenge.
Thanks for looking x