Pages

Sunday 4 November 2012

Another Tutorial for an Emery Board Holder


If you've been reading my blog for a while you may remember
my original post for a
Tutorial for an Emery Board Holder.

Since then, I've slighty modified the template
making it even more simple!


For this one you need no glue as it's a stitched holder. 

I'll show step by step details how I made the first holder in
the photograph at the top of this post.



I used a pretty K & Co scrapbook paper and cut
a strip measuring 5cm wide by 28cm long
(that's 2" wide by 11" long).
I folded it twice as shown.



I overlocked the bottom of the strip -
this is not essential, but I think gives it a little
more stability.


I rubber stamped some images on the reverse side
of the paper - just the top half as this is the only
part that will show once the holder's finished.



Then I stitched some pretty lace around three sides
of the paper strip (leaving out the bottom side).
I stitched the two buttons on now - for placement
see the template.

Fold the bottom up toward the top as shown and machine stitch the two
sides together, making a pocket.



Fold the top over
and secure closed by
using the buttons -
 leave a tail of thread
on the top button which
can be wound around
the bottom button.





Tuck a few emery boards into the pocket
and it's ready to be given as a little gift!

Here's a few others I made too


Again, these were just strips of scrapbook paper.







For this patriotic one, I used
self adhesive card (denim
look) with a serviette / napkin
stuck to the reverse.









Finally, I made a few funky ones.


These were strips of a lightly patterned scrapbook paper
which I altered by spraying inks through various stencils,
then did some rubber stamping. 
I used some thin ribbon instead of lace.

So quick and easy to make and the possibilites
are endless!

EDITED: 5th March 2014
Here are a couple made out of faux leather,
they are lined with fabric.
My blog post showing how the faux leather
is achieved is HERE.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The reason I thought of this new template was because the holder
I made originally, and have kept in my handbag has over time become
a little battered and I thought by using lace on the edges 
 would make it a bit stronger. 
This revised template is different and more simple as it no longer
has the flaps at the bottom which needed to be glued - as shown below.

The original template - with flaps!    









I suppose the original template could be used and
machine stitched instead of glued ... but this new template
is easier to cut out - and I like easy!!!

Thanks for looking and if you make a holder
please let me know as I'd love to see your take on it.

11 comments:

Cindy Is Crafty said...

What a neat idea, Sherry!

Jenny said...

These are fabulous Sherry... and what a gorgeous arty idea for your handbag too... adore the funky ones...

Jenny ♥

Terry said...

Sherry, these are so unique and pretty! Great idea and tutorial! Thank you for sharing! Have a great evening!

JansArtyJunk said...

These will make fab little pressies Sherry...loving the addition of the lace...TFS :)

Deborah said...

Love your funky ones, Sherry. I'm still using your emery boards...to sand the edge of my card lol

Meggymay said...

Fabulous Holders Sherry and so many to look at.. I remember making your first version. Will be trying this soon I hope.
Yvonne x

Unknown said...

These are super super cool Sherry! You can create any style for any girl like this! Hugs, Ira x
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Createology said...

Great gift idea for all those little surprise moments. This will be very doable and affordable for giving to multiple volunteers. Thank you SSD for sharing your newest simpler technique. Blissful Creating...

Healing Woman said...

Thanks for the tutorial. They would make such great little stocking stuffers. I like the funky ones the best!

Jester said...

I love them all, all the different designs. I never know what to do with my emery boards and this is such a good idea. Thanks, Sherry.

Mrs A. said...

All so unique. Love all of them. Hugs Mrs A.