Pages

Monday 2 March 2009

An Altered CD



There is a new altered art group over on Flickr called GAS MAMMA, MAMMA being Margaret and GAS meaning Group Altered Swaps - or something like that! The idea is each month a new project will be chosen (from ideas of members of the group) and at the end of the month partners will be drawn (randomly) so the altered items can be swapped.

For the first month Viv has chosen as the project - 'ALTERED CD with an ORIENTAL theme'. Well, I've never altered a CD before so this was the perfect opportunity to try! Some time ago I bought a tube (the type a rolled up poster might go in) which was decorated with oriental gold foil and had a decorative tassel on the end - there, I knew it would come in useful one day! I peeled off the foil and detached the tassel and attached them to a CD. Before doing so I removed the centre from the CD and edged it with some beads (an old necklace from a Barbie doll - sshhh, don't tell my niece!). For the back of the CD I painted it gold (using metallic acrylics from Ranger) and attached some oriental images. I also edged the centre with plain gold beads. Around the outer edge of the CD I attached some red braid. As there is a hole in the middle of the CD the 'jade' disc attached to the tassel can be seen from both sides. That's it, finished, maybe if I do another one sometime I can be a bit more adventurous!

I'm calling this 'Good Luck, Wealth and Happiness' as the colours red and gold represent these things in Chinese culture.

5 comments:

Genie said...

a lovely one Sherry

Unknown said...

oh wow this is simply superb and so rich looking....fabby work sassyx

Jan said...

The red and gold are so rich and so evocative of this culture. Beautiful work.

June said...

Love this its fabulous and also love the bird journals too. Your work is stunning Sherry
Hugs June xxx

Deborah said...

Oh no another MAMMA group to join :-))) Amazing CD, Sherry.