Sunday, 22 March 2009

Scrabble Charms

I've been busy making charms from old scrabble tiles this week as that's this month's project over on GAS MAMMA on Flickr (GAS meaning group for altered art swaps).

Last month I was lucky enough to get drawn with Pattie and received her beautiful altered CD which you can see here.

As I said above, this month's project (which co-incidentially was chosen by Pattie) was to alter some scrabble tiles into charms and the theme was flowers. Although we have a set of scrabble I didn't want to attack that as we do play it sometimes (although I can't remember when the last time was!) so I bought a very old 'scrabble for juniors' set at a car boot sale last Saturday. I didn't realise until I got it home though that all the tiles were made from cardboard and not plastic as I was expecting - doh! However, by glueing two together they become quite sturdy and good for altering.

I used K & Co scrapbook papers for the flower images and sealed them with UTEE, apart from the middle set which I edged with UTEE from the melting pot, then sealed with Anita's 3D Clear Gloss Finish. To some I added tiny seed beads and gems. The best bit is finishing them off with some dangling beads. I'm pleased with how they've turned out and hope the receipients will like them also.

I'm going to make some more - and two will become earrings for my sister, Kelly who when she saw the charms today said they looked just like earrings and asked me to make her some! That really was a great compliment and it will be a pleasure to make them for her.

(The photos show the front side (top) and the back - closer up pictures are on my Flickr photostream - see link at the side).

No comments: