Pages

Monday 10 March 2014

Introducing 'The Hillary Sisters'


Last week I heard about a 'Country Crafts Competition'
from Jan's blog who heard about it from Craft Blog UK.

The competition is being run by
If you send off for a free sample of one of these
fantastic fabrics from them -

Fabricswatches -hub -FINAL 

and make something crafty with it & blog about it,
 you'll be in with a chance of winning £1000!

So, without further delay, I sent off for a free sample -
I really loved the Bird Parade Teal, but knew I needed
something with a small print for what I had in mind, so
opted forthe Calluna Amethyst.

The very next day this arrived from Hillarys.

I wanted to make some paper dolls and clothe them
in the fabric - hence needing a small print.

This is briefly how I made the dolls.

From card, cut out the body parts -
and make a head from a mould using air dry clay.

Colour the parts with paint and markers.
I went on to make the facial features with 
water colour pencils and chalk blusher.

 Attach the arms and legs to the body
using small brads.

Now the best bit - using the fabulous fabric
to make some dresses for the 2 dolls -
who I called 'The Hillary sisters'!


 The older sister is dressed in a full length
sleeveless evening gown, accessorised with a 
gold coloured belt and shawl made from sari ribbon.


Her younger sister is wearing a shorter dress
(just above the knee) 
flared at the skirt and sleeves.
Her accessories are matching faux leather
belt and short boots.


 (The faux leather technique is described in
my previous blog post here.)
For the clothes I simply cut out the shapes
freehand from the fabric and stuck onto to
the card body parts with a white glue.


In this photo you can see the weave of
the fabulous fabric.
Oh, the hair, I should mention their hair!
I just happened to have a ball of fibres/wool  
in the exact colours of the fabric.
I do think a trip to the hairdressers is needed though!
Thanks for looking at my entry.
If you want to take part yourself, you only have until
Monday 17th March 2014 when requests for fabric will close 
- you then need to create your blog post by March 31st
 and email it to Hillarys.
Good luck :)

UPDATE:  Winner's entry may be viewed here
To see all the entries, look on Pintrest

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You and your gorgeous retro dolls really rock Sherry! Love their hair and dresses, so pretty! Hugs, Ira x
Ira’s Crea Corner

Netty said...

wow Sherry love your Hillary sisters, great faces, hair and clothes, you are a star. Annette x

Createology said...

Sherry Dear your Hillary Sisters are lovely and dressed ever so elegantly in the Calluna Amethyst fabric. I love this challenge and hope you win. Can we vote for you somehow? Creative Bliss Dear...

JansArtyJunk said...

Oh the Hillary sisters are stunners Sherry..LOVE what you did with the fabric...and loving their hair too! Good Luck with the competition ;) Jan x

Deborah said...

They are gorgeous, Sherry, and you must surely be in with a chance of winning. BTW I love their wild hair - don't send them to hairdressers.

Cindy Is Crafty said...

Love them, Sherry! Awesome!

Алексровер Анна said...

Wooooow! So stylish sisters! Love everything, but the hair.....!!!!!!!!!! I think I'd like to have the same hair!!!!!!! But I am not so courage :(((

Mrs A. said...

Love your Hilary sisters and their designer dresses. I heard about this on another blog but when I went on the Hilarys web page couldn't find the details. Just tried your link now and found it straight away so have ordered my material. Will need to get my skates on though. Hugs Mrs A.

Jester said...

What a fabulous pair. Good luck!

Estelle Grace Tudor said...

Fab entry Sherry! Love the colourful fabric.

Hope you are well, Estelle xx