Pages

Thursday 21 October 2010

Compendium of Curiosities - Challenge No. 18 - Dabber Resist


'Dabber Resist' is the current challenge set by Linda over on her blog Studio L3 relating to page 37 of Tim Holtz book 'A Compendium of Curiosities'.  I made a birthday card using the technique with two Distress Ink colours - Vintage Photo and Old Paper and Snow Cap paint dabber.  (I outlined some of the circles with black Stickles and the number 40 is a wooden bingo disc also outlined with Stickles)

 Although the technique calls for a rubber stamp to be used, I wanted the card to match a tin box I altered with metal embossing, so I dabbed paint onto the embossing folder and used that as a stamp instead.  It worked really well giving a good impression, although I had to make sure I washed all the paint off the folder thoroughly.

Here's what the box looked like before I altered it - with the three foam initials I put on the lid.


I cut rectangles of metal (from Ten Second Studio) for the top and sides, run it through the embossing folder ('Retro Circles' from Sizzix Alterations range) and lightly sanded the surface.


I encased the foam letters between sticky tape and a smaller rectangle of metal and burnished around them.  I rubbed black acrylic paint over them and once dry, again lightly sanded all over.

It's filled with the birthday boy's favourite sweets, so even if he doesn't like the tin all is not lost!

12 comments:

Yelowflower said...

That is very pretty!

Createology said...

Wow Sherry: I like the card but I LOVE the tin you have created. This a fabulous guy gift. Happy creating...

Terry said...

Love your resist challenge piece! Talk about awesome, wow did you do a fabulous job altering the tin! Love them both!

Gini said...

He'll love the tin, how could he not??
Both are magical makes for men Sherry :-)
Making stuff for men is so hard, at least I find it hard, and you've worked wonders!
Gini
xx

MarleneMAZ said...

Great card and fabulous tin! Love that embossing folder you used.

Netty said...

Smashing card and that tin you have altered is totally fabulous. Brilliant. Annette x

Bel said...

The box looks fantastic Sherry, I love it.

Cindy Is Crafty said...

Sherry, that box is the coolest!

Linda Ledbetter said...

Sherry, this is a brilliant variation on the dabber resist technique. The card is fabulous, and manages to be both beautiful and masculine at the same time. I just love that Texture Fade with the gears!

And that tin? FABULOUS! I can't imagine the birthday boy not loving this!

Pam said...

Fabulous stamping with the folder! Thanks for sharing that technique! Wonderful tin also!!

Healing Woman said...

Pretty amazing to see those plain letters transformed into a work of art. The box is very special and I am just imagining all the goodies inside. Really inspiring project.

Deborah said...

Fabulous card and present for a man, Sherry. And I love your ingenious solution for making the card echo the tin. Bravo!