Pages

Sunday 6 March 2011

Altered Matchbox: Theme - Birds


This month's theme on the Flickr group
is 'Birds'.

I immediately knew I wanted to make one of those cute little
 bird's nests made from wire and beads.



I googled and found a great tutorial on a blog called

Inside as well as the wire and bead nest, I adhered some glass
pebbles - which perhaps look a bit like some more eggs?
There's also a used postage stamp with a bird on
and a little bit of twine around the edge.

The outside of the box I textured to make look like a tree's bark.
This was created with several layers of ink, paint, glue, more
ink and paint and a final layer of crackle glaze.


There's also another used postage stamp with a bird on,
glued onto a piece of chipboard and again covered with
crackle glaze.

The gold bird at the bottom is cut from shrink plastic
 from the Tim Holtz 'Caged Bird' die.
Can you see his beady eye - lol!

I enjoyed making the little bird's nest so much
I made another for the drawer pull.


Swap partners will be announced on 10th March
so I'll soon know who my little birdy box
will be flying off to!

19 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Gorgeous little box. Love it done in blue as I'd have chosen to do one in pink of course.Had intended to join in this month but events stopped me as you know.

Angie said...

What a lovely creation! Thank you so much for describing the steps you took, especially on making the bird's nest. I think I'll give it a try.

Have a wonderful week!

Minxy said...

This is stunning, i love the use of the nest for the handle, wouldn't of thought to do that but it looks fab x

Createology said...

Fabulous interpretation of the them. Love what you have done and the wire nest is perfect for the little drawer handle. Super!

Jen xo said...

just gorgeous Sherry, ive been wantng to make those birds nests too...

Meggymay said...

Its fantastic Sherry, love how you made the nest. xx

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Wowsa Sherry!
You were quick off the mark! Not even thought about mine yet!!
Fantastic little matchbox.
Love all the little details.
Those wire nests are cool, been meaning to have an attempt at one myself, fab idea to use one has the drawer pull!

oneoff said...

That's so gorgeous. Lovely details and the nests are sweet.

Bx

Terry said...

Love the birdie! Your little nest and feathers are such lovely details! Amazing! Have a great evening!

Unknown said...

Cool box Sherry! And I LOVE how you made your bird nest with eggs, brilliant!!

Jeanie Callaghan said...

Just gorgeous, Sherry! If I get you as a trading partner, I'll be lucky, indeed!

Jingle said...

These are absolutely stunning!

Shelley said...

Whowever you send this out to is very lucky! It's fabulous!!!!

Mrs A. said...

Ok. ok. you have twisted my arm I have to go for it. Got some wire, got some feathers, got some old postage stamps. All collected by FIL over the past 50 yrs. Can't hang onto it for the next 50 yrs can I!!!!

Ange J Lee said...

Great box and LOVE the wire nests!

JoAnne said...

I love it Sherry!

Deborah said...

Sherry, that is one gorgeous matchbox. Love it!

Gini said...

Absolutely stunning Sherry, you squeeze so much into one small space and surface, everything about this is wonderful!
Gini
xx

Gez Butterworth said...

Stunning! Ooooh I have been away for too long!