She was going to be a 'sewing witch', but she looks too serene so she's a fairy instead! She's retired from active sewing service now - you can see
her greying hair and vintage wings. However, she still likes to
have a little dabble now and again on her sewing machine.
Her head has been moulded from air dry clay
and coloured with water colour pencils.
Her hair is from an old woollen scarf.
Her body is a Catherine Moore 'Character Constructions' stamp.
I used wire to try to replicate the wire form of the stamp
and attached some random beads and sequins.
They (the beads and sequins) can be moved up and down as I couldn't work out how to keep them in place!
Her 'feet' is a bobbin which is made from three
die cut shapes in mountboard, stuck together and coloured with
This is the back view of it (I know, you never would have guessed!),
It's attached to the body with E6000 adhesive.
I used Tim Holtz Alterations 'Sewing Room' Bigz die.
For her wings, I cut a rough shape out from an old
dressmaking pattern and Mod Podged it onto some cotton fabric.
I applied several layers and once completely dry,
machine stitched around the edges a few times.
(I also applied a little distress ink too)
I'm pleased with how the wings came out as they have a leathery feel to them - not that I have a thing for leather you understand (!!!), just that it makes
them a bit stronger and they are nice and tactile.
Here's what the back looks like -
you can see I used a bright orange clothes tag
for the main part of the body of the doll.
I think I'll name her Matilda, not sure why, she just looks like a
Matilda to me!
She'll be flying off to a new home soon - I hope she'll have a
sewing machine at her disposal, otherwise she may develop
bad witchy tedencies!