Pages

Thursday 20 December 2012

The Toy Soldier


As I mentioned yesterday this is my current favourite
Sizzix/Alterations Bigz Die called
'Toy Soldier'.

I think I like it so much because it reminds me of
the fairytale 'The Tinder Box' by Hans Christian Anderson.
Not that the soldier in the story was a toy one, and having
just re-read the story as an adult it's a little bit unsavoury - lol.
I thought the soldier was a good guy, but he cut off the witch's
head when she wouldn't tell him why the tinder box was so special -
oh well, never mind, I still love this Bigz Die.

I decided to make some bunting with it and it
became advent present number 19 for my swap partner Victoria.


I cut the soldiers from felt and card,
 painted their legs, boots and faces
and grunged them up with some pencil.
I stitched them with military looking buttons onto some navy ribbon.


Following the tutorial on YouTube
I did just that and decorated it with some
old sheet music and another of the soldiers.


This is probably my favourite of all the gifts I made
and I think I'll be using the die over and over again.

.... shame I'm now dis-illusioned about that soldier in
The Tinder Box story though -
 next I'll find out that Father Christmas doesn't really exist!!!!

Thanks for looking :)
 

13 comments:

Elaine Akers said...

I haven't seen this die in the stores near me, but I love what you did with it. Merry Christmas.

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

They are adorable! When I think of soldiers and HC Andersen, I think of the Brave Tin soldier. He was a good guy for sure.

Crafting Queen said...

REally lovely, great idea!

Unknown said...

A marvellous creation Sherry! Major fun! Your swap partner must have been thrilled! Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones, blessings, Ira x
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Lins Artyblobs said...

Great bunting, so unusual.

Meggymay said...

Fantastic projects Sherry. I think I shall have to keep a look out for that die.
Yvonne x

Unknown said...

wow what a stunning most beautiful creations awesome...hope you have a merry christmas and a very happy new year hugs sassyxxxx

Cindy Is Crafty said...

How cute is that! Also, how cute that today in my mailbox was the snowman card I commented on yesterday! It is so pretty. Thanks, too, for my pressie. Yours will get there after the holiday, so sorry! I hope you like it! :O)

Jester said...

What a fantastic present, Sherry. I love the soldier bunting and the box is perfect!

Deborah said...

I would never in a million years choose that die (unless I won the lottery and bought the lot LOL) but your bunting is fantastic, Sherry. I look forward to seeing what else you make. I never cared for those Grimm/HCAndersen fairy tales - there's one I remember from childhood, told from the point of view of a Christmas tree that's eventually discarded and thrown on the fire. It must have affected me - I always buy fake trees.

JansArtyJunk said...

Oh... your soldier bunting is so cool Sherry..and those buttons are a fabby touch too...and a matching box...Love it!!..stunning as always!! x x

SusanLotus said...

Lovely box! And alot of beautiful handmade gifts in the post above.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Hugs!

Mrs A. said...

Sherry, what a fun prezzie for your partner. Love this die too so will have to get my hands on him. Where did you purchase yours? Hugs Mrs a.