Pages

Tuesday 15 September 2009

'Wartime Winifred' Ribbon Doll



This month's theme on the MAMMA's Monthly Art Doll (MAD) Flickr group is to make a Ribbon Doll using this tutorial as a guide.

The doll could be on any theme, but must incorporate a pair of wings. I didn't plan to go along a wartime route, but when I found some red, white and blue ric rac in a charity shop yesterday, the idea came to me. I made a pair of oddly shaped wings from the British Union Jack flag and the head and shoulders are from a 1939 dress pattern. The little poster the woman is proudly displaying around her neck 'Keep Calm and Carry On' is a reproduction of a motivational poster commissioned by the British Government at the beginning of the World War II (although only a few were actually issued at the time) it does seem to exemplify that British 'stiff upper lip' attitute.

I'm pleased with how Winifred has turned out and hope my swap partner will like her too.

4 comments:

Genie said...

Great idea Sherry, shes great.

My name is Cindy said...

This is awesome Sherry - I love her!!

Nicks said...

i love winifred! whoever gets her is going to be one lucky bunny

Deborah said...

Wow Sherry! I love Winifred - she is so different. BTW I have added a link to live writer in my latest blog post.