Pages

Tuesday 29 June 2010

Compendium of Curiosities - Challenge No. 3 - Alcohol Ink Monoprint

I missed out on doing challenge no. 2 which was using the technique from Tim Holtz's book on page 62 'Fragments Basics' - mainly because I don't have any of the fragments.  No doubt I will buy some soon though so I can come back to it then.

Challenge No. 3 is 'Alcohol Ink Monoprint' using the technique from Tim Holtz's book on page 51.  If you want to know more about these challenges visit Linda's blog at Studio L3 where each week she will be setting a challenge from the book 'Compendium of Curiosities' - and there are prizes too!!!

Here's my entry using this technique which I've made into a greetings card (even though there isn't any greeting on the front of it - LOL).

I had several attempts at this before settling on this one.  The problem was I think using cheap photo paper which gave a rather sludgy result.  I found some glossy paper in my stash which worked much better with the alcohol inks.  Even so, I cheated a little bit a dropped a few drops of the ink on the top and around the edge.  The stamps I used were Tim Holtz's Stampers Anonymous (Artful Flight) for the large bird and Stampendous (Cling Bird Cage Trio) for the two bird cages, which you may just be able to see in the background, stamped in gold.  I mounted the glossy piece onto two pieces of black handmade paper which I die cut with Tim Holtz Alterations Sizzix die (Scallops).

Did anyone else manage to get alcohol ink all over their book like me?   Next time, I'll move it out of the danger zone. LOL

26 comments:

Sue said...

This is gorgeous, I love the way your background shows through your bird x

Linda Ledbetter said...

Sherry, it's SO beautiful! I love the subtle gold birdcages you added, and the way you turned this gorgeous monoprint into such a sweet card.

I'm glad you came back for week 3, and I hope to see you again for the 4th Challenge!

Hugs,
Linda

Meggymay said...

Its a super card, the background is a glorious colour.

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Cheating or not, the purple is gorgeous against the black!!

Terry said...

Fabulous background and I love the stamps you used! I have the bird! No, I managed to keep the alcohol confined - this time!

Minxy said...

Hay hun, I'm well thanks, hope you are too.. Glad to see i'm not the only one whos efforts were trial and error.. its trickier than it looks lol But i love hows yours turned out and that bird is heavently, i need one!

Mrs A. said...

All this talk of alcohol is soooooo unfair. Can't touch a drop till I have finished my course
of pills. Can you send card so I can have a lick instead!!!! LOL

Love the colours.

Lisa Somerville said...

Love the vibrant color you achieved! Very pretty!

Unknown said...

Loving the gold BCs in the back ground looks like we all got messy lol but we all also had loads of fun!

Love Dawn x

Rachelle said...

Gorgeous purples!!

Jen xo said...

lovely card Sherry, those bird cages are beautiful too....

donna said...

I love your card and I don't think it's cheating to add ink after. I really like the branch your bird is sitting on and of course the bird cages. The black really makes the alcohol ink pop....I work on 12 x 12 glass tiles which makes it easier to confine the mess and I clean up with alcohol (rubbing). I have used pieces of plastic instead of fragments sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous colours! Love the bird! x

Zoechaos said...

Lovely card, gorgeous colours the hints of gold stamping very pretty. xx Zoe

Lynn Stevens said...

Sherry its so pretty ,love your choice of colors!

MarleneMAZ said...

Love the colour on this, what can I say purple is my favourite. Great stamps too !

Oxana said...

WOW!!! So beautiful piece!!!

Nan said...

Really beautiful colors you got! This is a great card....greeting or no greeting :)

Linda said...

Love the background colors! The card is fabulous!

Lori said...

Striking color combo, I love it!

Netty said...

Gorgeous, love it. Annette x

scrappyjacky said...

I had to use photo paper as well...and you do get a slightly different effect. I love your colours....and the bird looks great on them.

Jinnys Unique Creations said...

Beautiful card Sherry xx

June said...

Wow this is superb. I adore that colouring on the background
have a lovely sunday
hugs June xxxxx

CuddlyBunny said...

Your creation is beautiful!

As for the book ... that's probably the ONLY place I haven't accidentally inked this week. :)

Jessica Rodarte said...

I love that rich purple color!