Pages

Monday 7 June 2010

'A Friend of Mine' - Apron


I made this apron for the 'Hymnal Title Challenge' currently running by Thespa  on her beautiful blog called Vintiquities Workshop.


The 'hymnal titles' in question are from old music sheets which Thespa reproduced on her blog and here's what she said:

"Below I have offered scans of song titles from an old hymnal. I love the font that was used for these titles and I enjoy using them, now I want to see what you can do with them. Simply print and use any of the song titles I have provided in any type of artwork. They can be used in Jewelry, tags, cards, altered art, mixed media, gifts, home decor, painted works, cut and paste, or stitched items. Use your imagination and get creative.
You may use any portion of the titles shown, one word or the whole line."

She is even offering prizes too, although I'm not sure if they extend to overseas bloggers.  Nevertheless, I still couldn't resist this challenge and made this little apron following the chapter 'Art Girl Doll and Apron' of my latest book 'Layered, Tattered & Stitched' by Ruth Rae.

The apron is basically a sandwich of sheet music between two layers of organza fabric, then all machine stitched together.  The hymn title I chose was 'A Friend of Mine' and I must agree with Thespa, the font is beautiful.  I sandwiched the title between more organza and stitched it to the apron as a belt, under which is a little hand made lace.

The pocket shows the number 391 which was part of the title (the number of the hymn?) and made in the same way as the belt.

I finished the apron off with some thin black ribbon for the ties at the waist and the neck, made a little wire hanger and rubber stamped the two tiny pegs. 


What a fun project, and the apron will be for a friend too, so how approriate.

13 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Sherry,
This is absolutely beautiful. Your stitching is perfect. I wouldn't have known where to start.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh--simply gorgeous!!!!!
HUGS,
Cindy Adkins
New Orleans
www.recoveryartist.com

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

That is so adorable, Sherry; what friend wouldn't love such a lovely (and appropriate) gift! How big is it?

Nora said...

Just stopped by to say thanks for visiting my blog & I get the pleasure of seeing your project for Thespa's challenge.

TOO STINKIN CUTE! I'm a sucker for aprons & I really love this idea. Great title choice since you're giving it to a friend! Good luck!
♥hugs♥

Elsina said...

I love what you did with the text, so cute and original!!! Wow!

Deborah said...

Wow, Sherry, this is beyond brilliant! Your friend is going to be thrilled.

Thespoena McLaughlin said...

I just love this little apron, how cute is this! I'm so excited to see everyone's creations, it's so inspiring. Thanks so much for entering my creative challenge, good luck!

Thespa
Vintiquities Workshop

Cindy Is Crafty said...

Awesome, Sherry! Love it! I also love you Dr. Seuss quote!

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

OMG, love this Sherry, your little apron is so sweet! All the little details are awesome!!
Oh by the way I've nominated you for an award on my Blog

Jan x

Heavens2Betsy said...

Came here to visit via Jan above. Your blog is a delight and I love your apron. Penny x

Darcy Marshall said...

love this apron, really sweet.

JAN said...

wow Sherry this is so wonderful..its just so unique.what a fantastic crafter you are Hugs Janet

Gini said...

The 391 Steps.

391 hours from Tulsa.


391 jobs to do before bedtime. (Boring)

391 giggles and kisses to savour before bedtime.
(Much better)

Love your pinny Sherry, you make the prettiest things :-)

Gini
xx