Pages

Tuesday 28 December 2010

Sleeping Jester Doll


I made this based on a little doll I bought many, many years ago from Liberty in Regent's Street, London which originally had a little pair of embroidery scissors attached to.  


I've always thought I'd like to have a go at making something similar and finally got around to it!

First step was to take apart the original doll!


I pinned the original fabric to paper.


Cut around it to make a paper pattern.


The original head was quite small so I used a clay face (moulded from air dried clay) as these faces are quite flat, I stuck it onto a cork and stuck another cork onto the bottom so there was something to insert into the body.


I cut out two pieces of new fabric, used new wooden beads for the hands and feet and stitched it together leaving an opening at the top - I stuffed it with some toy filling, inserted the head and stitched closed.  (I coloured the head with gold and copper dabber paint and highlighted the features with Stickles)



I attached ribbon to the hands for a hanger, although it looks as though the doll is hanging on a swing.

Here's what the back looks like.



This doll will be the prize for the little festive quiz I set on Christmas Eve - I'll announce the winner on New Year's eve sometime, so there's still a few days left to enter.


18 comments:

Jen xo said...

aww too sweet Sherry, i cant believe you pulled the original apart though!!!

Createology said...

Very clever of you and your doll is fabulous. Happy week to you...

Carol said...

I love your creations and I love this doll and want her, give her to me, lol. I will enter your quiz to see if I get lucky, she is beautiful and I truly think that she is better than the original one bought in Libertys....so there you go. Beautiful work as usual.

Carol x

Jan said...

You never cease to amaze me with your creativity! Beautiful little doll Sherry x

Healing Woman said...

She is really cute. I love the fact that you showed the entire process of creating her. Very good idea to use corks to insert the head.

Maureen said...

A lovely doll Sherry, better than the original!!

Mrs A. said...

Your doll is so sweet but hey did you put the other one back together again? Oops. I sound like the Humpty dumpty rhyme.

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

You are so clever Sherry!
Love the golden face and little crown.
Mmmm.... I was wondering if you put the other one back together too?!
Jan x

JoAnne said...

What a wonderful doll Sherry! I love her! She's be so at home amongst the dolls and bears here.....
Happy Holidays!

Terry said...

From matchboxes to dolls! She is absolutely adorable! I love her little outfit! Happy New Year!

Viv said...

I'm sure I got all my answers right..................honest..... LOL She's a luverly dolly!

Minxy said...

Very clever Sherry, she looks awesome :D

Unknown said...

Just love your doll, totally cute!

PetraB said...

A terrific little doll, she looks awesome.

Meggymay said...

Wow, this is fabulous, I would never have had the courage to take the original to pieces. xx

Luna Art said...

Wow, fantastic!! The face is great and I love the fabric you have used. Your one looks better than the original! You are soooo talented!!

Deborah said...

Thanks for the insight into how you put it together (corks! who knew?) - I actually prefer it to the original.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the directions on the doll.