Pages

Wednesday 8 December 2010

What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday, Week 79


On my craft desk today is one very special item - an art nouveau fish!

I won this from the multi talented Mrs A, on her blog 'It's an Alien Life' when she had a little competition a couple of months back. The winner (that'll be me) got to choose which of her 40 year old silk fabrics she would make into a box. 

I chose this fabric which I thought had an art nouveau look to it.


 I didn't know beforehand what sort of box it was going to be so when this fishy box arrived today it was a lovely surprise!

It has lots of different compartments to it


... and one at the back too, and all lined with dark blue felt


 Mrs A designed and hand stitched it.  Look at all the detail!



(oops, the photo on the left has come out a strange colour!)

I had to show the fish off here as I think it's fabulous.  Isn't she talented, it must have taken ages to do all those tiny stitches.  She makes beautiful dolls and other fabric items too, do go and have a look at her blog - she's a WOYWWer too, so you may already know her!

Thank you again Mrs A - I love it!!

If you want to know more about WOYWW and like to have a snoop around, go and check out Julia's blog Stamping Ground where you'll find links to over 100 other workdesks!

Finally, if you're interested in altered matchboxes, watch out for my next post, coming soon!

Thanks for looking - I'm off to stroke the fishy some more!!

13 comments:

Mrs A. said...

So glad you like him!!! I'm off to finish my Art 'n' Soul box and crumbs just realised I need to send a dolly to USA by Friday. Better get stuffing!!!!!

Mrs A. said...

P.s. Can't lay claim to designing him only to reproducing from an old black and white photo. The original was made in leather. I had fun trying to work out the dimensions of each part though as these weren't given.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful and amazing fish. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Unknown said...

I love it! So cute! Also now waiting eagerly for the altered matchbox post as it's something I've been thinking about trying x

Alisonw30 said...

Love the fish, I bet all those compartments will be really handy

Have a great week

Alison x(39)

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty freakin cool fish box!
I agree that the fabric is groovy - nice choice.
Xx,
Amy

donnalouiserodgers said...

i love arts and crafts arte nouveaux, you are one lucky lady,

Dx

Createology said...

This is a very fun and fabulous fish! Happy Holly Jolly Joy...

Marjo said...

Very cool! Thanks for the peek and sharing. Hugs, Marjo #45

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW, Mrs. A is one talented lady. I really like that fish box. It is gorgeous. Happy only slightly belated WOYWW from # 4 this week.

Susan said...

How cool! Are you going to put anything inside it?
Susan xxox #13

Chrissie said...

Oh my! What treasures will be stowed away in this little beauty?
Chrissie #7

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Wow, your fish box is cool!
What a talent Mrs A has!